How I got Financial Aid from Coursera for "Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau"
I am really humbled by the words of encouragement I have received so far. It is these actions that keep me going during tough times. Sometimes I think I have it all figured out, at other times my efforts look like a waste of time.
It is in this light that I want to share an amazing feat. I completed the Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau offered on Coursera by University of Carlifonia kind courtesy of a Financial Aid I received from Coursera.
You can also click here to confirm the image.
I would be talking about 2 items:
- Why I decided to apply for the Financial Aid?
- The process
Let’s get started!!
Why the Financial Aid?
In the first week of 2019, I did a review of my journey into the data science field so far. I aspire to be a data analyst and it has been a rollercoaster ride. I’m not where I want to be yet but I’m glad I started and I have been able to make it this far. The results showed I have improved my skills in data gathering (I am great with web,csv,pdf), data cleaning and analysis. The areas which needs improvement are visualization, version control and extracting data from databases.
In my search for resources that can help me in the weaker areas I came across the Data Visualization with Tableau Specialization. Don’t be deceived with the name, yes primary tool used in the class is Tableau but it teaches much more. I loved the entire specialization and I chose to complete all the courses. It comes with 4 courses and 1 project:
- Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau.
- Essential Design Principles for Tableau.
- Visual Analytics with Tableau.
- Creating Dashboards and Storytelling with Tableau.
- Data Visualization with Tableau Project
Each course goes for $79 or you get the entire specialization for $316. My finances were not favourable and I wanted to take these courses. I enrolled for the first course by auditing. I also noticed that next to the start date, there was a Financial aid available statement there, so I decided to apply.
The Application Process
- It takes 15 days for one to receive feedback on the application.
- You are requested to give correct information and also commit to complete the course (lovely people of the world plssss complete the work so they are encouraged to do more)
- You also be asked to enter the text I agree to the terms above in a search field (terms are committing to complete the course and provide correct information)
- Background Information such as Annual Income, Educational Background, Employment Status are asked of
- You will also be asked how much you can afford to pay.
- Using 150 words or less, one has to state why he/she requires financial aid and the next question is also how the course will help achieve your career goals.
- Finally you will be asked if you will consider low-interest loan for the course.
On the 21st of January 2019, I received an email with good news. I had received the aid and I can take the course with quizzes and peer-reviews. I had already started so I joined a different session and today I completed Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau. These are a few pointers to help anyone who wants to apply:
- Take time to read through the course. If you are applying just for the sake of it, I bet you the questions Why the Financial Aid and How the course will help achieve your career goals will fish you out.
- If you have previous work which relates to the course’s area, talk about it. I shared a link to my blog :), I spoke about all my previous courses and gave details on what I learnt from it.
- Start, what do you have to lose. For me I wanted to enjoy the benefits of my peers giving me feedback on my work. This is something I have lacked in my journey.
Thank you Coursera for this and yessss I completed my course. I am coming back for Essential Design Principles for Tableau.